1. It’s odd that no one paid attention to the adjective “wise” in Sotomayor’s comment, “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would, more often than not, reach a better conclusion.” If “wise” means anything, then all she said was a tautology.
2. It’s good that some companies are making a profit, but obscene that they’ll be handing out huge bonuses.
3. The Wall Street Journal increasingly looks like USA Today.
4. The steadiest ritual in my life, for more than 20 years, is morning with the New York Times and a cup of French roast coffee and this makes life very good indeed. I don’t think it would be the same with an online version.
5. The social effects of Facebook have yet to be seen.
6. Twitter is the anti-Facebook. Where Facebook is about creating a tight circle of friends, however big, Twitter is all about broadcast with a big disconnect between who one follows and who follows you.
7. It’s not as hot this summer as it was last summer, but then again I don’t live in Texas anymore.
8. Did California ever repeal Proposition 13? Now would be a good time.
9. We want Sen. Franken to be funny, not boring.
10. And that’s the way it is, so far, in some measures, this summer of 2009.
11. Rest in peace, Walter Cronkite.